Digital Audio – Streaming in Ireland
Download PDF report.
Like many trends during COVID-19, we were curious to understand how people have changed the way they listen to audio – music and conversations. With more people at home, with connected devices, we set about exploring how people are listening to great content online.
This report is a collaboration between Research, Media, Investment, and Creative and provides important context to the changing ways we listen to the world around us.
- 1 in 3 people have tried some form of digital audio (streaming radio, music streaming or podcasts) in 2020.
- Radio listenership remains high, but ways in which people are listening has evolved – with later start times and more digital consumption.
- Listenership to Irish radio stations via digital streaming is increased by 30-40% after the COVID-19 lockdown.
- Listenership through Smart speakers and Connected TVs increased by over 60% after the COVID-19 lockdown.
- 41% of adults have tried Spotify’s free offering (ad-funded)
- 28% of adults have tried Spotify Premium (paid service).
- Less than 10% of adults listen to Amazon Music, Google Play (Music), Apple Music or Soundcloud.
- 1 in 3 people are now listening to podcasts.
- Comedy and Society are the key categories of interest for podcast listeners.